Discover Wild Beauty
Vilas County’s endless forests, vast marshes and countless lakes provide great habitat for birds, and birders who explore this area are richly rewarded.
The county is home to eagles, hawks, songbirds, woodpeckers, loons, cranes, owls and more. In Vilas County you’ll not just see a lot of birds, you’ll get the thrill of witnessing the daily life of a wild bird in a very wild place. Vilas County has hundreds of miles of trails that help birders get deep into the forest.
The trails are easy to find. Our free Vilas County Silent Sports Trail Map and Map It Vilas County trails app show details for all the trails in our county. The map and app will help you explore every beautiful trail and they’ll give you a little peace of mind as you’re enjoying the far reaches of our wilderness areas.
Vilas County has all the amenities you need at the end of a day of birding, including cozy restaurants and cafes that are great places to relax. Stop in one of these great places to review images from your trek, or just reflect on a perfect day in the wilderness. Vilas County retailers also have all the apparel and gear you’ll need for a comfortable and successful birding trek.
Lodging is plentiful and close to popular birding spots so you can take full advantage of your time here. Check out these birding hot spots while you’re here:
- Cathedral Point, Boulder Junction
- Fire Lane Rd., Conover
- Thunder Lake State Wildlife Area, Eagle River
- Powell Marsh, Lac du Flambeau
- North Lakeland Discovery Center Birding Trail, Manitowish Waters
- Powell Marsh State Wildlife Area, Manitowish Waters
- Lac Vieux Desert (Outlet Bay area), Phelps
- Presque Isle ponds, Presque Isle
- Van Vliet Hemlocks, Presque Isle
- Rainbow Flowage (Oxbow Rd. area), St. Germain
Plan your Vilas County birdwatching adventure today!